Smart AdServer's video instream solution follows a universal design - a single insertion is enough to serve video ads:
- across all platforms - desktop web, mobile web, iOS Video SDK, Android Video SDK (see Technical documentation below)
- across ad breaks - e. g. on the preroll ad break and the midroll ad break
- across flash and HTML5 environments - the VAST standard is used consistently
- across all integration modes - video plugin, VAST request, video embedded via VPAID (see Technical documentation below)
The universal design eliminates the need of insertion duplication or group volumes. This reduces time/effort and consolidates reporting.
Technical integration documentation
Technical documentation about the video integration modes is available here (scroll down to "Video Developers").
The formats will be enabled by your service contact in your network. They are listed in Administration > Formats next to other non-video instream formats:
- Video - Linear for Video ads played before (pre-roll), in the middle of (mid-roll) or after (post-roll) video content
- Video - Non Linear for ads displayed during video content playback (overlays)
To create video inventory (players and channels), go to Administration > Websites & pages
Create new website
To create a new video player (website):
- click New Site (1)
- define a Site name (2)
- click Save
Create new page group
- click New page group
- define a name (recommended name: Linear+Non-Linear)
- click Save
Edit page group
- edit the page group as shown in screenshot above
- from the list of formats, check the two formats Video - Linear and Video - Non Linear
- click Save
Create new page
- click New page (1) to create a new video channel
- select the Page group (2)
- in the field Page name (3), define the video channel name
- click Save (4)
You may need additional pages (channels) which may not support both formats. In this case:
- create additional page groups
- name the page groups according to the included formats ("Linear" or "Non-Linear")
- select the according format for the page group (Video - Linear or Video Non-Linear)
- when you create additional pages select the appropriate page group (2)
Video tags for single pages
Video tags bulk export
To do a bulk export of all video tags, use the link Download all tags for the site...
Creating advertiser and campaign
Creating an advertiser
- Click on the Campaigns (1) tab
- Click Create a new advertiser (2)
- Define the advertiser's Name (the other fields are optional)
- Click Save and create a campaign at the bottom of the page
Creating a campaign
- define the Name (1), the Start (2) and End (3) date and select the Booking status Sold (4)
- click Save and create an insertion (5)
- define a Name (1)
- select the Insertion category In-Stream Video (2)
- define Start-Date and End-Date (3)
- select a Priority (4); for more about priorities, read here
- enter an impression volume (5) - or
- define a VAST event volume (6); a VAST event volume means the insertion's target volume to be delivered is not based on impressions, but based on a VAST event; you can choose from the VAST events: Start (video started), Expand (user expanded video), Fullscreen (user clicked fullscreen button); Quartile events (25%, 50%, 75%, 100% of the video's duration was seen)
- click Save and go to next step (6)
- select the format Video - Linear (1) and one or multiple Ad break positions (2) if your insertion will serve video ads - or
- select the Format Video - Non Linear (1) if your insertion will serve Non Linear ads (overlays displayed on the video content)
- select the websites/pages - i.e. the player(s) and channel(s) under Available placements (3)
- click Save and go to next step
Creatives - overview
- on the Creatives tab, the script template [VIDEO] VAST 3.0 - LINEAR is preselected
- click Template library (1) to select another script template
- Visit the Technical Specifications (2) to get details on each script template (description, supported file types, options etc.).
- To upload creatives (media files, companion ad files), click Add a creative (3)
In video instream campaigns, you can use multiple media files: different encoding formats (mp4, flv, webm) and different bitrates (to deliver the best balance between video quality and bandwidth availability). All the media files will be sent in the VAST file and the player will decide which version is the most appropriate.
In a single video instream insertion, you can only use versions of the same creative. If you have 2 creatives (creative A for product A and creative B for product B), you must create a separate insertion for each creative.
Creatives - script templates
To view available script templates, click Template library (as explained above under "Creatives overview").
Select from the following script templates (click to read detailed documentation, including information on supported media files):
Converting video assets
After upload of video files, you can use the Converter button (1) to convert the video file based on one of the predefined Video Encoding Profiles. You can also define customized profiles under Administration > Video Encoding Profiles.
When done with the setup, click Put online. The insertion will be live within a few seconds.
To create a report for video instream insertions, go to Reports > Creation of a report
Configuring a report
Select Insertion (1) and filter for the name (2)
Switch to the Metrics section and select the metrics under Video Interactions. Read more about the metrics here.
adbreak adpod ad pod