Previous step: 12 - Insertions: follow up
The most important report menus are:
(1) Campaign reports; focusing on campaigns and their insertions, used in everyday business
(2) Global network statistics; focusing on websites and pages of the entire network
(3) Big Data Reports; the most powerful type of reports; main benefit: queries with multiple criteria
Selecting the report items
- Click on the Reports tab (1)
- Select the appropriate Advertiser (2)
- Select the appropriate campaign
- Select all insertions or select specific insertions
- Select trackers (optional); trackers are tracking codes used to track conversions (post-impression/post-click)
Choose from one of these report templates:
- Optimization report per campaign - a rather simple report with 3 tables
- Global report per campaign - a more detailed report with 7 tables
- Customized report - a report where you can configure the granularity (e. g. by creative, by day, by site etc.)
Note 1: The campaign report has limitations when combining criteria. For instance, in a Customized report, you cannot combine Per country with Per keyword. For this type of reports, use the Big Data Reports instead (see below).
Note 2: For detailed queries (e. g. Per country), the campaign report uses sampling. Sampling is a common method, where only a percentage of details (e. g. the geographical information) is being logged. The sample is then extrapolated and displayed in the report.
If you see differences between Campaign reports and Big Data Reports (see below), this may be due to sampling.
As a general rule, you can consider the Big Data Reports more precise than Campaign reports.
Choose from one these options:
- Generate and display the report - displays the report directly in the user interface; will include download links (xlsx and csv); read more about options below
- Generate and download the report (xlsx) - download the report in Excel format
- Generate and download the report (csv) - download the report in csv format
Campaign report in the user interface
Use these options (displayed in the top right area of the report):
(1) Edit - change the reports configuration
(2) Save report - necessary to use the options (3), (4) and (5)
(3) Subscription - set up a subscription (send report by e-mail on a regular basis); click Save report (2) first
(4) Delete report; click Save report (2) first
(5) Permanent link - generates a direct link to the report; anyone who has the link can view the report (no login credentials needed); data in the report are always up to date (if the report's timeframe is "For the whole period"); click Save report (2) first
Global Network Statistics
Use Global network statistics to analyze your entire network (all websites/pages). To access it, go to Reports > Global Network statistics
- Scroll down to Set query criteria
- Choose from the following filters: Placement, Period, Advertiser, tracker (conversion tracking), Agency, Salesperson, Traffic Manager, Format, Insertion types
- Choose from the calculation mode to define the level of detail
- Select Charts
- Click Calculate to display the results in your browser or Excel Export to download results
The results of Global Network Statistics include the following columns:
- Total ad impressions - Banners + In-house Ads + Pixels + Default Pixel
- Banners - Ads (creatives) served (swf, gif, HTML5, agency scripts etc.)
- In-house - Ads from insertions whose advertiser is an in-house advertiser
- Pixels - Counting pixels (read about counting pixels here)
- Default pixels - Ad calls, where no insertion was delivered ("empty" inventory)
- Click rate
Big Data Reports
Big Data Reports are the most powerful reporting tool. Their main benefit is the combination of criteria (e. g. Per country and Per keyword).
Acces and general settings
To access Big Data Reports, go to Reports (1) and click Creation of a report (2)
- Select Direct campaign (3)
- Define a Name (4)
- Select the output Format (5)
- Select the Period covered in the report (6)
Subscribe (7) - select Yes to set up a subscription for the report; this option is only available for the Periods Yesterday, Previous week or Previous month; add recipient addresses in the right column
Keep in mind: the report frequency is based on the selected Period; for instance, if you selected the Period "Previous week" the subscription e-mail will be sent every week
Select the columns for the report. The selected columns will be displayed on the right side.
To display additional column(s), hold your mouse over the column name and select the additional column(s) ①.
"Domain" column limitations
The domain column cannot be combined with the columns Creative name and Keyword. A fix for this issue is scheduled.
When selecting the domain column, filtering by names does not work. A fix for this issue is scheduled. Filtering by id is not concerned.
The number of criteria (i. e. aggregations, such as "by insertion", "by site") in a big data report is limited to 16 criteria.
This limit does not apply to additional (informational) columns. For instance, if you select Creative (see screenshot above) and add the informational column ID, this means one criterion (aggregation "by creative").
Free version vs. Premium version
The Free version is available for all of Smart AdServer's customers. In the free version, you can use the columns under Targeting (e. g. Country) and Keywords only if the reports's period is within the past 40 days.
For the Premium version, reach out to your Sales contact to get pricing information and to have it enabled in your network.
Rearranging columns and filtering
The selected column will appear in the right side. To rearrange columns, simply drag and drop them with your mouse.
Use the filter icon to apply filters.
Switch to the Metrics section and select the metrics to be included in the report.
The metric Click bots reports clicks which have been identified by Smart AdServer as originating from click bots (fraudulent clicks).
Click Generate report; the report will be added to the queue of reports to be created. The report generation process may take some time, depending on its complexity.
About the warning "The generation of your report will take more time..."
This warning is displayed when you select a dimension and a metric for which there are no precomputed data. For instance, selecting the report columns (dimensions) "Insertion" and "City" and the metric "Impressions" will trigger the warning, since the "City" data are not precomputed.