Smart AdServer's Video outstream solution allows you to create, deliver and report VAST video campaigns on websites of virtually any type. With video outstream, you create a rich user experience with formats which integrate seamlessly into the rest of your content.
Keep in mind that video outstream is not video instream. While video instream is about serving ads embedded in video content (e. g. prerolls), video outstream can be used independently from video content on the page. For a better understanding of video outstream, check our gallery here.
Key features and benefits
Here are the key features and benefits of Smart AdServer's Video outstream solution:
- supports VAST 3.0 and VPAID 2.0 with the according metrics => full interoperability with third party systems
- allows you to benefit from high video CPMs even without video content
- provides VAST metrics and Smart AdServer's proprietary viewability/visibility metrics
- supports delivery of video ads based on completion rate and viewability
- enhances user experience: skip options, sound on/off based on events, countdown timers etc.
There are two main use cases for Smart AdServer's video outstream solution.
On a website
If you are a publisher having Smart AdServer ad tags on your websites(s), you can use video outstream script templates to serve video outstream ads on the site. You can configure the delivery to get the best user experience: frequency capping, pacing delivery to distribute impressions over a timeframe, insertion priorities etc.
In a third party system
Preparing the setup
Creating an advertiser
- Sign in to your Smart AdServer network here and switch to the Campaigns tab
- Click Create a new advertiser
- Define the advertiser's Name (the other fields are optional)
- Click Save and create a campaign at the bottom of the page
Select the Insertion category Out-Stream Video (1). If this insertion category is not available in your network (in your account at Smart AdServer), get back to your support contact or Technical Account Manager to have it enabled.
If you are using the "In a third party system" use case (see above), select any priority from the Exclusive or Non-guaranteed priority groups. If you are using the "On a website" use case (see above), select the appropriate priority and define an Impression volume (3) or an event volume (4).
Click Save and go to next step
Select the appropriate format and sites/packs. Keep in mind that the format must be a Standard format. Read here for further details about format types.
Click Save and go to next step
On the Creatives tab, the script template Smart Video-Read is preselected.
- Click Templates library (1) to select another script template.
- Visit the Technical Specifications (2) to get details on each script template (description, supported file types, options etc.).
- Visit the Gallery (3) for showcases of each script template.
- To upload a video asset (e. g. mp4 file), click Add a creative (4).
- To use a third party tag (VAST or VPAID), click Add an agency script (5) and paste the VAST or VPAID tag into the field Customized script for the creative.
Converting video assets
To convert videos, first upload the asset. Click the converter button (screenshot above) and select from one of the predefined Video Encoding Profiles. You can also define customized profiles under Administration > Video Encoding Profiles.
Previewing and putting online
Use the Preview (1) option to preview the ad on a sample page or use the Live Preview (2) to view the ad in its actual environment (on a URL, where Smart AdServer ad tags are used).
When done with the configuration of the insertion, click Put changes online (3) to set the insertion online.
Getting the ad tags
Only use this menu if you are using the "In a third party system" use case (see above). Click on the campaign name and access the menu as shown in the screenshot above. You will receive an ad tag for each page and insertion.
This option may not be active in your network. Reach out to your support contact or Technical Account Manager to have it enabled.
To create a report for video oustream insertions, go to Reports > Creation of a report
Switch to the Metrics section and select the metrics under Video Interactions. Read more about the metrics here.