When you start working with Smart AdServer, your first step is to create (map) your inventory in Smart AdServer's platform.
The term inventory refers to all the ad slot (placements) where ads need to be served:
- on desktop/mobile/responsive sites
- in iOS/Android Apps (using Smart AdServer's SDK)
- on sites with video content (e. g. Preroll)
- on any other comparable platforms (in case you use Smart AdServer in a customized way)
Setup in Publisher solution
This chapter is for Smart AdServer's Publisher solution. Click here for the Agency solution.
Formats are used to define types of ad slots (superbanner, skyscraper etc.). To create formats:
- log in to Smart AdServer's platform and go to Administration > Formats
- Click New to add (create) a new format.
- Define a name (1) for the format (e. g.: "leaderboard").
- Select a Type (2). Standard is for desktop/mobile/responsive websites. Mobile is for native apps (iOS/Android), which use Smart AdServer’s SDK. This information is only used during trafficking to filter the formats: for instance, if you create a web insertion, you will not see the mobile type formats.
- Always enable HTML Tags supported (3)
- For Instances per page (4), select how often the format will be used on a given page. For instance, if you have 2 medium rectangles on an article page (e. g. top and bottom), you could define 2 instances and integrate the medium rectangle twice. There is no limit for the amount of instances you can use. This option is only relevant if you use the tag type "Synchronous One Call (One Call)" or "Asynchronous One Call (Ajax One Call)"
- For Platform settings (5), define a width and a height for at least one platform (e. g. 728 x 90 for a leaderboard on a Desktop website)
- Click Save (6)
Here, you create any environment where your formats (ad slots) are located. This can be a desktop website, a responsive website, an iOS app, a video player etc.
- Go to Administration > Websites & pages
- Click New (1) to create the first website
- Define the Site name (2)
- All the other fields are optional
The creation of page groups is a mandatory step between website creation and page creation. A page group is simply a collection of formats. Once the page groups are created, you will create pages and assign them to the appropriate collection of formats (page group).
- Select the appropriate website in the left pane (1)
- Click New page group (2) and define a name. Name it according to the formats it includes (e. g. "SB+Sky" for superbanner + sky)
- Click the colored button next to the page group (3). A list of all formats opens. Enable the appropriate formats and save.
- Repeat this for every combination of formats.
- Keep in mind: you can assign one page group to multiple pages. But each page is assigned to a single page group - see below: (4).
- A page group can be used for the entire website (for all of its pages), but not in other websites. You may want to use the Copy Website (5) feature for such cases.
In the screenshot below:
- there are 3 different page groups: Medrec, SB+Sky, SB+Sky+MedRec
- the pages page_a, page_b, page_c are all assigned to the same collection of formats (page groups). This means, that you will receive one ad tag per format for each of these pages.
- the pages home and page_d are each assigned to separate page groups (they use their individual format combinations)
Pages are the sub-units of websites. On a news website, these could be: home, international news, politics... Later, when you create insertions, you will be able to select either the entire website (with all its pages) or individual pages.
- Click New page (1)
- Select the appropriate page group for your new page (2).
- Define a Page name for the page (3); no spaces; allowed characters: 1234567890_.-/ abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
- Page URL is optional and purely informative.
- Save the page (4)
Make sure you only create pages which are supposed to be sold and reported separately. If possible, try to avoid a complex (granular) tree structure. If you have two products ("home page" and "rest (all pages except the homepage)", it is enough to create just two pages: “home” and “rest”.
Using page names instead of page ids
Any ad call carries the page id which represents a page. This id is assigned by Smart AdServer when a page is created. Instead of using the page id, you can also use the page name to identify a page. This can be useful when you are migrating from a third party system to Smart AdServer: you can reuse the existing page names (used in your previous system).
Keep in mind: This feature is not available by default. Reach out to your Service contact to have it enabled.
Setting up multi-level page trees
You may wish to arrange a set of child pages under a parent page. When creating your insertions, you can then select the parent page and the insertion will deliver on all of its child pages.
To set up a child page:
- create a page as usual
- for Parent page (1), select the parent page, under which you would like to arrange your child page
- you can build a page tree with up to 5 levels
Leave the checkbox Allow ad delivery on this page disabled (recommended). The parent page will then serve as a pure container of the child pages with no ad tags generated.
If you wish to use a parent page as a home page for its child pages, we recommend to create this home page as a child page along with all the other child pages (on the deeper level).
Packs are optional. You can also set them up at a later stage of your setup process. Packs are simply folders filled with websites and/or pages. For instance, you could create a pack for verticals: when you have websites/pages, which belong to a specific vertical (e. g. sports), you could create a pack called "Sports". You can fill this pack with all the sports-related websites and/or pages. In your insertions, you will be able to select the pack with one click. No need to select each sport-related website/page manually.
To create a pack:
- Go to Administration > Websites and page packs and click New
- Define a Name for the pack (1)
- Enable all the sites and/or pages (3) and move them to the right column using the blue arrow (2).
- Click Save to save the pack (4)
- Click Save and put online (5) in case you have made changes to an existing pack (you removed websites/pages). The Save and put online will update all the active insertions associated with the pack: insertions will stop delivery on the sites/pages you removed from the pack; insertions will start deiivery on the websites/pages you added to the pack
Setting up responsive websites
Responsive websites support 3 platforms: Desktop, Tablet and Smartphone. When a browser requests a creative (from an insertion), Smart AdServer reads the browser's user agent. From the user agent information, it assigns the ad request to one of the 3 platforms (using a device database).
To set up responsive websites, you need to define sizes (width and height) for a minimum of 2 platforms. The setting is done on format level.
A website’s home page has a format (at the top of the page) which accepts:
- leaderboards (728x90) for desktop browser
- a fullsize banners (468x60) for tablet browsers
- an MMA Mobile Web Banner (320x50) for smartphone browsers
For this example, you would create a format with the following settings:
Setting up a mobile app (Android or iOS)
The setup of a mobile app is very similar to the setup for desktop or mobile sites. However, please keep the following specifics in mind:
- When you create your mobile app formats, select the type Mobile
- Typical format dimensions in the mobile app ecosystem are banners (e. g. 320x75) and interstitials (e. g. 320x480). For banners and interstitials, it is fine to use a single format for both iOS and Android apps
- If you intend to publish different app versions for smartphones and tablets with interstitials, create two different formats: one for iOS/Android smartphones and the other for iOS/Android tablets.
- There is no need to create different formats for the device orientation (portrait/landscape). It is enough to create only one format with the portrait dimensions.
Setting up video inventory
Smart AdServer offers two types of video products:
- Video-Outstream for videos ads embedded in non-video sites; Video outstream is not embedded into a video stream => use regular desktop/mobile web formats
- Video-Instream for video ads embedded into video content (e. g. Prerolls) => use the predefined formats Video - Linear and Video - Non Linear (no manual creation needed)
The remaining setup is as usual (create website, page groups, pages etc.).
Setup in Agency solution
Inventory setup in the agency solution is similar to the setup in the publisher solution. However, it is a simplified workflow more adapted to agency and advertiser needs.
Formats are used to define types of ad slots, such as leaderboard, medium rectangle etc. Using formats is optional. However, it is recommended to use formats if you wish to generate reports by format.
- To create a format, go to Administration > Formats
- Click New
- Define the format's name (1); e. g. leaderboard
- Enter its width (2) and height (3), e. g. 728x90
- Save the format (4)
Websites and Pages
The next step is to create every publisher/ad network to whom you will send ad tags. You create these only once and will be able to reuse them in every campaign/insertion.
- Go to Administration > Websites & Pages
- Next to Site click New (1)
- Define the Site name (2); this is the only mandatory field
- The Default Tags setting refers to the type of tag which will be generated by default. after you have created your insertions
- Enter the Contact information if you wish to send ad tags directly to your contacts. If left empty, you will have to download the ad tags and send them manually
After you have saved your site, a Page group and a Page (each named *General*) are created automatically. Page groups are a concept which originates from Smart AdServer's Publisher solution. In the Agency solution they have no further purpose and can be ignored.
In most cases, the auto-created page *General* is sufficient. If you create additional pages on the website, you will be able to select these in insertions. As a result, you will receive an ad tag for each of the selected pages. Also, you will be able to generate reports by page.