With Header Bidding, publishers can fetch bids from multiple partners (demand sources) using a framework which is integrated directly on the publisher's page.
How Prebid.js works
- the Prebid.js library fetches bids from multiple partners (Smart AdServer, etc.)
- Prebid.js passes information about the retrieved bids (including the price) to the ad tag on the page
- the ad tag passes the information to the ad server as query string parameters
- in the ad server, there are line items which target these parameters
Using Smart AdServer as a demand source in Prebid.js requires activation. Get back to your Technical Account Manager to see if you are eligible. Without activation, Smart AdServer will send empty ad responses ("noad").
Setup in Smart AdServer User Interface
To be able to use Prebid.js with Smart AdServer, you need to set up RTB+ in Smart AdServer's user interface.
Sign in to the user interface
Sign in to the user interface here (use your Manage ID ① and Password ②. The Manage ID has the format yourUserName@networkName (example: johnsmith@mediaxyz)
Go to Administration > Formats
Formats represent sizes of ad slots (e. g. 300x250 / medium rectangle).
- ① Define a name
- ② Under Platform settings, define width and height for the Desktop position (e. g. 300 x 250)
- ③ Click Save
Repeat the process for each format.
About the sizes
There is no need to create additional formats for similar sizes. For instance, it is sufficient, to have one "300x250" format, which accepts both 300x250 and 300x300. The actual accepted sizes for a format are specified client-side (see
sizes: [[300, 250]], in the example in the part 2 article).
Go to Administration > Websites & pages
Click Site: New
Create at least one website. Creating an individual Smart AdServer Website for each "real" website is only necessary, if you need granular reporting ("by website").
- ① Define the Site Name
- ② Optionally, for Site URL, enter the website domain (in format: http://domain.com). When placing the bid request, Smart AdServer will use this domain as a backup for the referrer URL.
- Click Save
Click New page group and enter a name (typically, the same name as the website).
Edit page group
Edit the page group as shown above.
Enable all the formats and click Save.
Click New page
- ① Enter a Page name; typically, the same name as the website (one page per website is sufficient)
- ② Click Save
Getting the Ids for bid parameters
In Administration > Websites, click on the website in the left column and select Download all tags for the site
On the following page, click Generate to download the txt file. In the txt file copy the Ids
siteId, pageId, formatId and foward them to the developer who does the client-side integration. The Ids will be used as bid parameters.
siteId: 50513, // pageId: 364469, // Page : mywebsite/mypage formatId: 21720, // Format : myformat
Create RTB+ advertiser
- Go to Administration > Advertisers and click New
- Name it "Smart RTB+" (recommended)
- Click Save and create a campaign
Create RTB+ campaign
- ① Define a Name for the campaign. Recommended name: "RTB+ - [Current Year]"
- ② Set Start and End date ③ (end date should be at least the end of the current year)
- ④ For Booking > Status set the status Sold
- ⑤ Click Save and create an insertion
Create RTB+ insertion
You need to create one insertion per format.
- ① Define the Name; use the format's name, e. g. 300x250
- ② Select Insertion category Web
- ③ Leave the priority unchanged
- ④ Enable the option Activate "Holistic yield" mode
- Click Save and go to next step
- ① Select the format (1); only one format is possible; copy the insertion if you need other formats (see below)
- ② Select the website(s) and move it/them to the right column
- Click Save and go to next step
Click Template library
Select script template
Search for the RTB+ script templates and select the RTB+ Default Banner script template
You can ignore the field "Acceptable sizes" since it is not relevant for Header Bidding with Prebid.js.
Put insertion online
Click Put online. The insertion will be active within a few seconds.
Copy RTB+ insertions
You need one insertion per format.
To copy your existing insertion:
- ① Click on the campaign's name
- ② Select the insertion to be copied
- ③ Click Copy
In the copied insertion
- change the name (e. g. to 160x600)
- select the appropriate format on the Placement tab
The result may look as follows:
You can also create deals (direct deals, private auctions). The following articles include more details:
Read the part 2 article 6b - Header Bidding with Prebid.js (part 2), which includes:
- the client-side integration on publisher site
- the setup in publisher ad server